Pistol Qualifications for NJ Carry Permit NJPTC (NJ Permit to Carry) CCARE PROTOCOL ** 9-15-2023**
Civilian Carry Assessment and Range Evaluation (CCARE) protocol.
This live-range training replaces the Permit to Carry Safe Handling and Proficiency Qualification protocol (HQC2-
modified) issued on July 21, 2023, and is the required range component pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4(g).
All certified firearms instructors in NJ shall now instruct on the CCARE protocol.
As for individuals who completed firearms training prior to July 1, 2023, and whose permit to carry does not
expire until after December 22, 2023, they must requalify on the CCARE protocol or the HQC2-modified protocol
issued on July 21, 2023. An individual who completed a course of fire prior to the issuance of the CCARE Protocol
is deemed to have satisfied N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4(g)(2) if and only if the prior course included each of the following:
A minimum of 50 scored rounds per participant.
Minimum passage score of 80% using an FBI type Q target.
At least 10 rounds must be from the 15, 10, 7, 5, and 3 yard lines each, or if fewer rounds were fired
from those distances, the remaining rounds must have been fired from greater distances.
The participant must demonstrate safe holstering and unholstering during the shooting course, which
must include safely drawing the weapon from a secured holster before firing at each of the required
distances and reholstering after completing the round.
The participant must demonstrate proficient and safe reloading during the shooting course.
No substantially similar courses completed after the CCARE Protocol is issued will be accepted
This is for informational use only, S.W.A.T. FIREARMS is not responsible for whether or not you receive a permit to carry.
Links below are from the New Jersey State Police for the needed PDF forms & Directions.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER– SO READ EVERYTHING!
- NJ Permit to carry a Handgun application -Form SP.642 https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/PTC_Updated_Application_20230120.pdf
- Get Acrobat Reader here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
- NJ Consent for Mental Heath Record Search-Form SP.66 https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/sp-066_201907.pdf
- Permit to Carry Instructions https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/NJSP_WEBSITE_REVISION_FOR_PTC.pdf
- Firearms Identification Card Application & Registration System (FARS) https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/fars.shtml
- Safe Handling & Proficiency https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/sp-182_PTC_Safe_Handling_and_Proficiency_Certification.pdf
- Additional Handguns Intended to be Carried https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/sp-182a_PTC_Additional_Handguns_Intended_to_be_Carried.pdf
- Firearms Safety and Awareness https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/Firearms_Safety_and_Awarness_PPT.pptx
- PTC Use of Force and Qualification https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/Use_of_Force_Training_Doc.pdf
- Memorandum All Law Enforcement and NJ Certified Firearms Instructors https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001bzOSVLHq1qGi12qn5niGWPEE3F0VlseakMjU2JC-YowW2FoQthCeb9fdX2UY3jpkKby9JsJ-gphvf2UMY9Nwh1HMVPP9ugUdz09RfOz629896jSTTH53C9ERbMgk-TysDfD-zI1ajurgc12B_ger4k5OiHRhrTxsgHq9BD9pNDJ8f3FeQcM9BtpmKj5mVQKO&c=U1i00E-GHaDxpGrbpFnsgsdt4aHrArh2kiZtbUI16KVMgK7VwGGQpw==&ch=tKfJVwOSq017EJEdIjx45yqwBjSsnoPtmSMJrYQj9enodKHa4ufqLg==